- 1 Feel comfortable with your MTB handlebar
- 2 Pre-adjustments to get right height the MTB handlebar
- 3 What use do you give to your bicycle?
- 4 How to measure the height of the MTB handlebar
- 5 How to modify the height of the MTB handlebar
- 6 How to reassemble the power of the MTB handlebar
The correct MTB handlebar height is an influential settings when we want bicycle is precisely adapted to cyclist’s physical characteristics.
As a rule, cyclists often give much importance to the saddle height. to the cleats position, to the suspension set up and to the tires pressure. However, they often pay very little attention to the benefits of correctly adjusting the height of the MTB handlebar bar.
The correct height and seat-handlebar settings can prevent endless discomfort and, most importantly, prevent injuries, especially when the bicycle is used for hours.
In this article we will establish the basic guidelines for a correct adjustment of the handlebar. Although, you should only take our advice as a starting point, then go out with your bike and experience your own sensations.
Then you must make fine adjustments according to the feelings found. Modify everything necessary millimeter by millimeter until you find the height and inclination that best suits your needs. First look for maximum comfort and then the best effectiveness of pedaling.
Feel comfortable with your MTB handlebar
A good position on the bike requires a correct height of the MTB handlebar. The result is relaxed shoulders and neck, slightly bent elbows, straight back, support comfort, easy access to the shift controls and brake levers, etc.
Also,Achieving a correct posture allows a better cushioning of the terrain inequalities so common in the MTB.
Usually, Competition bicycles tend to receive a significant fall from the handlebar in relation to the saddle. While if the use is more recreational, the handlebar is usually mounted higher because it is a more comfortable position.
Normally, when the handlebar is lowered, the center of gravity is lowered at the same time. With this, more weight is placed on the front wheel, which increases its traction and provides a more centered position. In addition, the control of the bicycle is improved, especially when climbing, it is especially noticeable when using 29 “wheels.
Pre-adjustments to get right height the MTB handlebar
We assume that you already have the right frame and that the correct height and recess of the saddle is adjusted. Otherwise, if you want, you can see our article that talks about the seat adjustment.
When you have the saddle to the height and recoil suitable for you, you can to set the handlebar.
The first is to know if the measurements of the frame and the length of the power are right for you. You can check this on your mobile by downloading and using the APP Bike Fit Calculator.
Enter yor mesures and the APP will give you the measurements that should have your ideal fram (vertical and horizontal tube) and also, the height of the saddle, the width of the handlebar and the measurement of power.
As for the most suitable width of the handlebar you can see our article on the MTB handlebar width,
Needless to say, a biomechanical study done in a good laboratory will be somewhat more accurate. But, biomechanical studies are not usually cheap and often are not even of high quality.
Check your measurements
If the table is not the most suitable for you, according to the calculations of the APP (check it several times) and you do not have the possibility of changing it, try to solve it by changing the power of the handlebar (more affordable expense). If the frame is too long, put a shorter power and if the frame is short put a longer power.
Two people of the same height, have different sizes of legs, trunk and arms. Therefore the most important measure when buying a box is the horizontal. Since the upper tube is currently not horizontal, a level should be used to imitate an imaginary horizontal tube.
As the size of the pictures are standard (Unless you have a box made to your needs), it is very difficult to find a box that matches the two means (long and high) suitable for you, at the same time.ç
Choose the box that has the imaginary horizontal tube length closest to your ideal size. Then adjust the height by raising or lowering the saddle.
If there is no frame size that matches your measurements, it is always better to choose the size immediately below, because in general it will be easier to adapt to playing with the length of the power.
After making the corresponding adjustments to the saddle, and having the power of the appropriate length, it is time to adjust the height of the handlebar.
What use do you give to your bicycle?
To set the height of the handlebar, you must first think about how you will use your bike. This difference will be between 2 cm above the saddle and 8 cm below. The height of the cyclist also influences.
As a guide you can follow this rule:
- Cyclists who are between 1.60-1.70 meters high, will place the fall of the handlebar on the saddle between +2 and -2 (between 2cm higher than the saddle and 2cm lower)
- Runners whose height is between 1.70-1.80 mt, will give their handlebars a fall on the saddle between -2 and -5 cm.
- And those who exceed the 1.80 mt height, will place the fall of the handlebar on the saddle between -5 and -8 cm.
If you are going to use the bicycle to walk or on routes that are not excessively demanding without very steep climbs or descents, the height of the saddle and the handlebars will be very similar. A handlebar higher, allows a more upright and comfortable posture.
When it’s used in competition, the fall of the handlebar is more pronounced for being more aerodynamic.
With the highest handlebar you gain in comfort and the arms rest is greater. However, control is lost and climbed with less precision.
How to measure the height of the MTB handlebar
There are two ways to measure the height difference between the saddle and the handlebar:
- First, you must measure the height from the saddle to the ground and from the handlebar to the ground and subtract one measure from the other.
- then you must place a wood or a ruler over the sadle and, above the strip, one level, once the perfectly leveled strip is measured, the gap between the bottom of the strip and the top of the strip handlebar.
- If you do not have a level, you can use a mobile application (for example, saddle adjust)
Proper adjustment of the handlebar ensures comfort and allows maximum performance on the road and in the mountains.
Growing children should also have their bikes adjusted every year. Luckily, all you really need is an Allen key.
A few spacer rings and a bit of skill allow the handlebar to be adjusted perfectly.
How to modify the height of the MTB handlebar
- If the power is without thread you must first remove the screw and the top cover.
Then, you must remove the side screws and you can remove the power.
- Some handlebar powers have lifting rings that can be raised or lowered to modify the height of the power. The potencies with negative fall if they are turned back pass to have a positive fall.
How to reassemble the power of the MTB handlebar
- Then you can reassemble the whole set again.
- When the torillos are carbon, to avoid breakage, you must tighten them with a torque wrench. The tightening torque of the screws is marked in the power and is usually between 4-6 Nm.
- If the adjustment rings do not raise enough, the extensions can be used.
- There are also bars of two heights, which allow you to vary the height and angle of attack.
- Another option is the adjustable powers in height that offer endless possibilities.
- Even the brand AIM, manufactures the 3FStech with three positions that can be modified in gear by a control on the handlebar.
- You can also watch the following explanatory video